Health and safety legislation requires that employers provide a safe working environment.
DSEAR (ATEX/CAD in Europe) sets out a mechanism for minimising the risks where flammable materials are handled which could create an explosive atmosphere.
Employers have a legal obligation not only to comply with this but to prepare and maintain documentary evidence.
- New regulations came into force June 30th 2003
- Date for final, total compliance 1st July 2006
- Implements 2 x European directives:-
- Chemical Agents Directive (CAD) and Explosive Atmosphere Directive (ATEX 137)
- DSEAR sets minimum requirements for protection of workers from fire (& explosion) risks related to dangerous substances & potentially explosive atmospheres
- DSEAR complements the requirements to manage risks under the Management of Health & Safety at Work Regulations 1999